Job Title: Community Outreach Manager
SunCommon is a Benefit Corporation that is fueled by the belief that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and safer world. So we’re tearing down the barriers that have made renewable energy inaccessible with the goal of repowering our communities one home, school, and business at a time. To this end, we make going solar easy and affordable so that all Vermonters together can take part in creating a healthier environment.
About This Position:
SunCommon’s field marketing program is our boots on the ground and the face of our company in the communities we serve. Our field marketers drive the majority of our inbound leads throughout the year. The Community Outreach Manager is responsible for the oversight of this program, managing our team of Community and Grassroots Organizers.
Our Community Organizers build relationships with the movers and shakers in the communities in which they work, as well as with our more active customers even years after they’ve gone solar. They are responsible for igniting those interested in building a local, clean energy future to gain visibility for SunCommon, create educational, community events, form partnerships, and drive high quality leads.
Our Grassroots Organizers are our primary prospecting force. They staff our booth at large events and knock on doors in the communities in which we work. They bring our message of easy-and-affordable solar beyond the choir, engaging folks wherever they’re at – at markets, concerts, and sporting events and at their front doors. They build enormous brand awareness as well as bringing in leads.
Essential Job Functions:
- Hiring and Training Staff. Providing on-boarding training, as well as ongoing skill and leadership development. The Community Outreach Manager will regularly spend time in the field, working alongside staff, providing coaching and feedback. In addition, the Manager will develop and deliver more structured, “classroom” trainings and codify best practices.
- Staff Management. The Community Outreach Manager oversees 8-12 staff, depending on the season, and so active, deliberate staff management is the core of this position. As noted, training is an assumed function. As a manager, regular planning meetings, priority-setting, campaign planning, and goals accountability are also regular and routine job functions.
- Program Development. Imagining and implementing the next innovation. The solar industry is constantly evolving – we call it the SolarCoaster – and our outreach work has to evolve with it. As previously noted, this position includes regular field time, both to support and train staff, and to test and develop new program areas and contribute personally to lead goals.
- Tracking and Analysis. Developing systems that provide for effective tracking and staff accountability to ensure we meet metric goals and budget targets. As with all marketing work, this program is perpetually in motion and assessing its successes and challenges in real time is important. All with all of our work, we seek ways to tighten our work and drive efficiencies.
- Marketing Team Leadership. SunCommon’s marketing and sales program is constantly evolving, responding to changes in the market, expanding to better serve Vermonters, and driving efficiencies. This position will be part of the marketing and sales leadership team: imagining, vetting, and implementing change and generally applying more smarts to our program. The Manager will regularly collaborate with staff across other marketing programs, sales teams, and our Guide team.
- Proven excellence in customer or member-facing, relation-driven, roles. For example, 3-5 years of experience in events planning, political organizing, canvass directing, fundraising, or volunteer management.
- Exceptional communication skills. A demonstrated ability to boil down complicated information into a simple, compelling message. The ideal candidate will also be able to demonstrate strong writing skills – turning a spoken message into a written message.
- Demonstrated management skills. Ideal candidate will have managed staff and/or new program development work.
- Goal-oriented. Attune to key metrics and driven to deliver.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Training experience. The ideal candidate will have experience developing and delivering skills trainings to staff at different career levels.
- An infectious passion for re-energizing our state with renewable power.